Monday, June 9, 2008

A typical day

I thought I would use this post to list the many things that could make up a typical day for me.

Wake up and eat breakfast
Talk with roommate or read books/study map
Get dressed (very important to not go into work in pjs)
Walk to work unless the weather is bad aka snowing.
Change shoes from boots to inside shoes and feel a bit like Mr. Rogers
Put belongings into my cubby in the employee washroom
Head to the Visitor Center desk and answer questions
Find out road conditions and what campgrounds have not yet filled throughout the park
Stoke the fire
Drink a full (reusable) bottle of water
Change shoes, get keys, bear spray and jacket
Head out to West Thumb to rove and do a program, regardless of snow. Last Friday I had a program in a snowstorm where we saw an Elk and her baby behind a pine tree. So cute!
Tell teenagers to not put their hands in the hotsprings...seriously I stopped a kid seconds before he put his hand in one day
Drive back to Grant Village and listen to radio chatter
Change shoes and put things away neatly in cubby
Eat sack lunch usually containing PB&J or Ham sandwhich, animal crackers or pretzels, apple or bananna, French Vanilla yogurt and a cookie and full bottle of water
Go back to the front desk
Change name bar and badge from shirt to sweater if visitor center gets too cold
Start the film on the hour
Answer questions on the skulls and bones we have sitting on the front desk
Award Junior Ranger patches
Think about home and family vacations taken wearing shorts haha
Rehydrate
Change shoes once more and grab gear to head out to West Thumb to Rove. I like driving the Jeep and the Dakota because they are small and maneuverable. The breaks are ridiculous and I end up suddenly stopping instead of easing into the stop. Gives me more of an idea of why Adam drives like he does.
Walk around the Geyser Basin enjoying the view as I talk to visitors
Head back to the visitor center and put keys back, grab all my personal stuff and head home
Take shower (also very important)
Change into comfy clothes while dinner is cooking
Watch movie, talk with neighbors, go for walk, talk on phone, write letters, throw snowballs, plan weekend hikes, read, listen to music
Go to bed.

Other duties include opening and closing the visitor center, doing statistics, planning programs, updating the bulletin board and various stuff

No comments: